Monday, January 14, 2008

First Days of School...

Hello! I hope everyone is doing well, thank you for the comments, I really appreciate and love reading them! Today, Tuesday, was my second day of classes here at Bond. The system here is really different then US university system. For each class you take a lecture and tutorial portion, each meets at different times throughout the week. The lecture is like a normal class, and the tutorial is a smaller class where the professor discusses the lecture, it's all about participation and comprehension. Also, you call teachers here by their first names; it's going to take some getting used to. Yesterday I had 2 lectures: Organizational Communication & Leadership, and Attitudes, Persuasion, Leadership & Conformity. My other Monday class, Conm Training and Consultancy, does not start until next monday. Both classes were a bit intimidating, they both have a few big projects, which makes me nervous. However, this morning I have my Organizational Comm tutorial, and that made me feel alot better about the class. The teacher went over the assignments in more detail, and we had a class discussion. I like the tutorials alot more then lectures :) I am on a break right now; I will be on my way to my Attitudes tutorial at 3pm. I wish I could just hang out here and not go to classes....but I suppose that is why I came here in the first place. I am just hoping that school work is not too time consuming, and that I can travel and have fun without having to constantly worry about school. Luckily, Australia does not believe in Friday classes, so I am really looking forward to having 3 day weekends!
The weekend before school began was really great. On Saturday we went down to the main tourist beach, Surfers Paradise, which is about a 20 minute bus ride from campus. There is a cool downtown area around the beach consisting of restaurants, tourist shops, and (praise God) STARBUCKS! It was a really cool atmosphere, even though it was pretty tourist-y. We had an awesome day at the beach, much of it spent swimming in the warm water and being taken out by waves. I got my first round of tanning in without burning, which I am pretty excited about :) My plan is to come back crazy tan....we'll see how that goes.
On Sunday we went to the church that the campus chaplin works at, called Hope Chruch. It is only about a 10 minute walk from campus, and it is a pretty cool church. It's always strange to adjust to a new church that does things differently then the church I am used to at home, but I like Hope, we have already met some really nice people there. I'm excited to see how that develops.

I miss you all very much, and I hope all is well at home. I want to know how things are going, so keep me updated!
Molly - please pray for community development, and that I would impact lives during my time here. Thank you so much, you are so missed!!

Also, here is my mailing address here at school. I have no idea how much is costs to send things here, but just incase you need it, here it is:

Katie Davis
Student Accomidation
c/-Mailroom, Building 9
Student Court
BOND UNIVERSITY QLD 4229
Australia

Love you guys, my camera cord is on it's way, so hopefully I will have pictures up for you soon!

5 comments:

kristina said...

hi katie! i'm glad your doing good! i wish i had 3 day weekends! :-) i love you and miss you!

jenise said...

yay kristina was able to leave a comment! :) i had a nice chat with your mom today, katie! at least i can talk to one of the davis' on the phone... haha. glad to hear youre doing well! how big are the lectures at bond? thats crazy that you have a lecture and another class just for discussion, kinda nice though! miss you soooo much! thanks for callin saturday night!

Lindsey Olsen said...

YAY! Im glad things are going well for you. You better be ready to hang out with me when you get back. Thats crazy how different things are with school over there. I guess i had just assumed that it would be exactly the same as it is here. Love you friend! keep updating us...Im looking forward to the pictures!

kaitlin Malcolm said...

i wanna go to the beach with you. but you know how i feel about starbucks.

Unknown said...

haha i like how anti "kaitlin" is about starbucks... but we secretly know how addicted she used to be. it's really awesome to hear about australia and how you are doing and getting along. is having lecture and a tutorial really that foreign? isn't the tutorial the same as discussion section? does APU not have that? look forward to reading more of your posts!