Saturday, February 2, 2008

Zorb, Zorb, Zorb, ZORB!

Alright, I'll just be honest, I always feel really awkward writing the beginning of these blogs. Do I say hello, or do I just start talking? And who am I saying hello to? I don't even know who reads these things. Should I say "G'Day!"? Or does that just sound really stupid and tourist-y, like I'm trying to act Australian? These are all the things that run through my head when I start writing. Probably over-analyzing....but whatever. Anywhoooooo.....Here's an update on what has been going on these past few weeks:

Last weekend we went to the city of Brisbane on Saturday for Australia Day, which ended up being quite an adventure. After about an hour train ride there, we arrived around noon, ate lunch, where I squirted "tomato paste" (a sorry excuse for ketchup) all over myself, and walked around Southport, which is across the bridge from Brisbane. Southport has a huge park, where there was some festival thing for Australia Day going on, and it was cool to explore around there. Then we crossed the bridge into the actual city, where the main street basically consists of lots and lots of shopping (not a good activity, considering my current financial situation). After browsing through some shops we explored more of the city, which is much more historic and beautiful then I thought it would be. There were alot of big beautiful buildings, statues, and parks. We then again crossed the bridge back to Southport to watch an Amazing Australia Day fireworks show (they coreographed it to the "I come from a land down under" song!). After Lindsay, Corinne, Hayley, Lauren, and I went to see "27 dresses". This is where things got a little "dodgy". After the movie got out at 11:30pm we had to hurry back to where we thought the nearest train station was, because the last train back to Bond was leaving sometime around midnight. Ofcourse, we had trouble finding the train station, which was not helped by all the late night Australia Day celebrations going on all around us. We knew the train station was located on the same street as all the bars were on, on kind of a sketchy end of town. To be lost, American, young, and female were NOT good things in this situation. To make matters worse, I was getting a really creepy vibe from that whole area....creepy drunk guys were lurking all over...and the whole area was just out of control. But not to worry, being the competent adults that we are, we found the train station and got some safely, but veeeeery late. It was actually a very accomplished, independent feeling to figure out a city we have never been to before, in a foreign country, and figure out transportation.




This past week of school went by very quickly, actually most of the school weeks go by here very quickly. Not having classes on fridays is magical. The only thing that I'm going to say about school is that I'm annoyed, and slightly concerned, about the amount of work I'm realizing I have. I have a few projects and papers coming up, which I should probably be working on, but I'm finding it really hard to focus on school like I normally do. I mean, I'll get it done ofcourse, but I'm almost surprised to remember that I'm actually a student this semester....because most of the time I like to forget that I am.




This weekend has been a really great one. Thursday we went to varsity tavern with a pretty big group of people; it was a fun place to just hang out and have good conversations, while sampling some authentic Australian beer :) I think that Pure Blonde is my favorite....but it's really the only kind I have had. It ended up getting rowdy, with loooooots of crazy people pouring in around midnight, so we hightailed it out of there.




On Friday we went......ZORBING! (See the video at the bottom of the page, it's of Suzi and I going down the hill in the zorb, sorry there is no sound!) What is Zorbing? I actually didn't know until Lindsay found a pamphlet and suggested that we go. Basically what happens is you get in a big plastic ball (think of that movie "bubble boy"), with water in it, and roll down a hill. Going into it, I had no idea what to expect, but it turns out that Zorbing is amazingly fun! We were all laughing hysterically watching each other roll down the hill in this thing, while chanting "ZORB, ZORB, ZORB!" It was sooo awkward that it was awesome. By far the most awkward part is when you have to enter and exit this thing, through this hole that Corinne accurately described as "the Zorb's vaginal canal". When you get out of it you are literally birthed out onto the ground (the water pours out with you as you plop onto the ground)....sooooo hysterical. I think the pictures describe it better then I could in writing....but we all came out soaking wet and laughing. Infact, we liked it so much, we went twice! The first time I went in the Zorb with Suzi, and the second time I went in with Lindsay and Corinne.....we were sliding all around and knocking into each other. It basically takes away all body control as you are rolling down the hill and slipping around. The boss told us that around Easter they are going to fill the Zorb with chocolate instead of water......we really want to come back for that!




Today (Saturday) we went to a water park called "Wet & Wild" and....well....it was wet and.......wild. I'm actually really upset that I did not get more tan, but it was really fun to go down the slides, pay way too much money for over-priced park food, and float around the "lazy river" for extended periods of time. The bummer of the day was the bus situation....as usual it took us way too long to get there and back....I'm really going to appreciate having a car when I go home! Tomorrow I am planning on going to church in the morning, and then having some serious homework time. I have group projects coming up....and I don't want my group members to hate me.




On a more serious note....I have been struggling alot with missing friends (and family too ofcourse!). I've been feeling it since I've been here, but I think it's hit me hard recently...I hear that the 1 month maker is a tough one. The group of people I hang out with is really cool, and I like them all alot, but they all are here with a best friend from home. Corinne and Lindsay came together; Hayley and Lauren came together; Nate and Bjorn came together. I think it hit me the hardest today when the 7 of us were at the water park, and when we got to the top of a 2 person ride, I had no one to go with. I know this isn't really a big deal....but it was more the meaning of it that killed me. I miss having a buddy, and I feel like everyone else does. I keep thinking about how nice it would be to have someone here, and it's even harder when I'm surrounded by people who are best friends. It's like being a 7th-wheel. Now, I know that this is a good experience and lesson in independence for me, and I know that things worked out the way they did for a reason, but it is just a little lonely somtimes. I'm really hurting for a buddy. I'm not the type that likes to go down water slides alone. But I guess sometimes I have to. I don't mean to complain or whine, because I'm really happy to be here, but this is just how I have been feeling today. If you are the praying type, I'd appreciate any prayers you would like to throw up for that.


Again, I'm missing everyone continually, and thank you so much for the comments and e-mails, I love them!

7 comments:

jenise said...

just so you know, i DID read this right away, but since im always the first commenter, i decided to give someone else the chance. well, i couldnt wait that long since i know how much you love my comments :)it was soooo good to hear your voice last night, it was almost like the whole family was together again! MISS YOU SOOOOOO MUCH. love ya, --me

Unknown said...

haha omg i wish we had zorbing here! that looks absolutely ridiculous in an amazing way. does a guy really get down in front of it to stop it?! i'm having so much fun reading your blog, thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

katie girl! zorbing looks sooooooooo fun! oh my gosh! i saw someone doing that on the tv last week and i thought i must do that! i forgot to tell you that my intercultural comm teacher is australian and she has a great accent and maybe when you come back you will have one too!!! i miss you a lot! keep our preteen leader and her hubby in your prayers! oh and because of that circumstance val and i will be doing wintercamp this weekend... yikes! you are missed and in my prayers! i love you! i wish i was there to go on waterslides with you!!!
xoxo
molly girl

Tyler Weaver said...

KATIE!! I love it... I think you need to bring zorbing back to the states and make millions! Either that or just bring it back so we can do it! That looks freakin amazing! And I'll be praying for you like always... i know kinda how you feel sometimes up here. But crrrrazy new, I'll most likely be back at APU next year to hang out with you!! yea! But good luck with all your homework and group projects and with everything. I love you bud!

Lindsey Olsen said...

Katie!
Once again, I am so jealous of all that you are getting to do over there! It sounds like you are having so much fun. I miss you back here and wish that I could see your beautiful face in person, but we will make that happen when you get back. Love you!

Anonymous said...

you were in my dream last night. we made the most amazing chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. you wanted to take some home to your family. then you brought the leftovers back to my house and brent showed up and ate them and drank all of my orange juice. it was like a preteen reunion with just us... yikes...

Lindsey Olsen said...

Update us please!!!! I miss you and want to see what you are doing.
Love you!