Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Bad.....


OK, I'm really sorry for not updating this in almost a month....that's not good...i know. I openly admit that I stink at blogging. It also leaves me in a bit of trouble, because so much time has passed I am having some trouble remembering what I have done over the last 20-something days. I honestly have not been doing many exciting things this month, it's been kind of slow. I've been forced to spend alot of time at school because of homework and midterms. I literally just turned in my final midterm projects about an hour ago, so I'm feeling relieved and ready to relax. One advantage of sticking around campus is that I am spending less money, and I've been getting to hang out with alot of really cool people. I've definitely encountered alot of questionable people here, and I've also encountered some really great people. I feel like I have adjusted to being here pretty well, and I am feeling comfortable with my environment and the people around me. But I am REALLY going to appreciate certain things about home when I get back, like having a car, knowing my way around, and Mexican food.

I would say that one of the best, most exciting things that has happened this month was Malcolm finally getting here!! If you don't know who Malcolm is (her first name is Katie also), she is one of my oldest friends who I've known since elementary school. She is studying abroad on the Gold Coast also at Griffith University. We got to see each other for the first time last Friday.....it was magical to say the least. It was pretty surreal for me to see her here, but it was exactly that familiar comfort that I have been missing and needing. We spent Friday hanging out around my school, going to the shopping center (Oh, and I got my hair cut!) and watching "Friends". On Saturday we headed to the beach for a little while, but it was so unbearably hot that we couldn't stay for very long. By the way, I was definitely that person who had to go sit in the shade because I thought I was getting heat stroke. Looking back on it the whole situation was pretty comical. From the beach Malcolm and I parted ways and I headed back to school to work on papers.


This past Monday we went on an amazing adventure with our Australian friend, Alex. We were all in serious need of a break from studying and papers, and this was the perfect solution. After we were all out of class, we loaded into Alex's car and drove south towards New South Wales, stopping at multiple beaches and lookouts along the way. We even found a 7-11 and got Slurpee's! I was reminded of how convenient it is to be in a car; we got to go places and see things that we never would see taking the bus. Alex knows the area really well, and she was an excellent tour guide. The beaches here are really beautiful, with gorgeous blue water, fine sand, and awesome cliffs. Some parts actually remind me of Westcliff Drive in Santa Cruz. Alex, bless her soul, was also really good about taking stupid tourist pictures with us, which we were very thankful for! The night ended with dinner at a local beach restaurant and a 5o cent ice cream cone from McDonalds (they call it Mackers here). We had such a wonderful time that we decided to make "Mini Roadie Mondays" a tradition. It's only Friday and I am already excited for our adventure next Monday. Alex has been such a blessing; she is so willing and excited to help us and show us around. We couldn't have met a cooler Aussie.




So here I sit, on Friday afternoon, drinking hot chocolate and finally having some time to relax. Tonight us girls are going to a laser maze called "infinity" that is supposed to be really cool....we'll see what its actually like. Tomorrow there is a pro surf competition happening that I am planning on going to, which should be sweeeet! I am excited for March and all of the adventures (like Sydney!!) it is going to bring. I promise to be better about writing these things next month :) Thank you so much for the comments, emails, and letters. It makes me so happy to hear from home. You know whats crazy, I'm going to be home in less then 2 months!! Time is flying......I'll see you soon :)










4 comments:

Tyler Weaver said...

Yay! I got to hear what was going on in Katie's life today! It definitely sounds like you are getting into the swing of things! You gotta do me a favor too if you find any cliffs you can jump off of you have to do it! I'll live vicariously through you! But I love you and am freakin stoked to see you when you get back (or at least a couple months after when we go to school together again!!)! I been praying for still too, any new requests? Love you Katie!!

Lindsey Olsen said...

Katie!!!! YAY! I love your updates. It sounds like things are going great! I do miss seeing your face. I saw Garrett the other day and we talked about the fact that we miss you. And he told me that he had talked to you on Skype and then I got real jealous. Anyways, I just love you and am glad to hear from you and see your cute pictures. Have fun over there.

jenise said...

dude, 2nd comment? what is this? at least i got to talk to you on the phone right now. :) im so glad youre having fun, and im happy that this blog is called "my bad". hahahah. lovez you girl!

jenise said...

scratch that. ill have to settle for third. laaaame.